Cape & Sword Drama Society
Please fill out THIS FORM to apply for Usher Squad for THE MUSIC MAN (Spring 2017). Questions about Usher Squad? Please see Howie Brown ‘99 or Andrew Staub '12 (C&S Assistant Directors and Usher Squad Co-Directors).
Click here for the cast and crew of The Music Man.
About the Cape and Sword
The Prep's Cape and Sword Drama Society is one of the strongest high school theatre programs in the Delaware Valley.
- Over 17% of the student body is involved in some form of Prep Drama - on or off stage.
- The Cape and Sword has won the Prep's Activity of the Year Award 4 times.
- 2 large-scale shows are produced every year - in the fall and the spring - that involve about 60 students each (on and off stage). Shows range in style: everything from Shakespeare to Sondheim has been produced on the Prep stage (recent titles include Curtains, Kenedy's Crisis, The Laramie Project, Me and My Girl, Cabaret, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Producers, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and A Few Good Men).
- A year-round Improv Club is offered, as well as a winter Night of Scenes, both of which include ALL Prep students who express interest.
- Recent Prep Drama alumni include Michael Rady (TV's, "Unreal" and “The Mentalist”) and Alyse Alan Louis (Sophie in Broadway's Mamma Mia), and many Cape and Sword alums appear quite frequently on local professional stages.
- Since 1995, the Cape and Sword has operated under the leadership of local actor and director Mr. Tony Braithwaite '89.
The 2016-2017 Season
- Peter and the Starcatcher - This hilarious comedy upends the century-old story of how a miserable orphan comes to be The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (a.k.a. Peter Pan). A wildly theatrical show which features everything from marauding pirates and jungle tyrants to unwilling comrades and unlikely heroes, Peter and the Starcatcher playfully explores the depths of greed and despair... and the bonds of friendship, duty and love. Performances in mid November, 2016.
- Night of Scenes - Performances in early February 2017. Auditions held in early January. ALL Prep students who audition will be cast!
- The Music Man - Performances in mid May 2017. Auditions will be held early February. The Music Man is a classic American musical-comedy concerning con man Harold Hill, who poses as a boys' band organizer and leader and sells band instruments and uniforms to some naive Iowa townsfolk in 1912, promising to train the members of the new band. But Harold is no musician and plans to skip town without giving any music lessons. Prim librarian and piano teacher Marian sees through him, but when Harold helps her younger brother overcome his speech impediment and social awkwardness, Marian begins to fall in love. Harold risks being caught to win her.
- Improv Club - Meets every Tuesday after school in Room 108. ALL Prep students who show interest are included and may join at any time during the year.